Thursday, April 16, 2009

Sitting At His Feet


God has been teaching me what it means to sit at his feet. One of my biggest challenges and distractions in resting before Him has always been busyness. It is an area that my Father has been changing in me, especially these last couple years. Some of the change has come through God physically slowing me down, but also God has been teaching me to say no. By the grace of god, he continues to teach me how significant it is to fix my eyes on Him by simply sitting at his feet and listening. God has been mightily using a Colorado Springs Wow-woman's bible study this semester. We are going through a book called Fix Your Eyes on Jesus, written by an incredible woman of God and friend Kirkie Morrissey. Through scriptures from this week's study God encouraged me to shut out distractions and spend more time enjoying and listening to him. God has been giving me discernment to sometimes say no to people, things, and maybe even ministry opportunities, in order to sit at his feet and enjoy his presence. Honestly, it is just difficult to know how to find a God-honoring balance between enjoying my Savior, serving my family, loving people, and serving him in ministry and everything else that needs to be done when raising a family. I am not condemning myself, but rather being honest. I just don't want the busyness of life, even serving God, to ever become a barrier to knowing Him deeply. So, I have been asking God to transform me in this area and am thankful that his truth and presence is at work. An interesting example is from Luke 10:40, "Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, "Lord, don't you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!" Another great example was from Matthew 26:11 Jesus said "The poor you will always have with you, but you will not always have me." I don't believe this statement justifies ignoring the needs of the poor. I do wonder if it is communicating the significance of the special sacrifice and beautiful relationship Mary had, as she sat at the feet of Jesus. I desire a precious relationship like the one Mary had with Jesus, where I am taking the time to sit alone quietly, listen, worship and adore my Father.

God has also been whispering to me, Wendy "be still and know that I am God". I have started to give myself permission to take time to be still and it is amazing what God is doing in the midst of the stillness. In the stillness, God is drawing me to himself and revealing more of himself to me. In reading a book recently by Joanna Weaver called Having a Mary Heart in a Martha World she says "The closer we draw to the heart of the Father, the more we see his heart for the world". I think this may be true, and then she goes on to say "As we take time to hear his voice-God provides the horsepower we need to pull the heaviest load. He saddles up Grace and invites us to take a ride." God spoke clearly to me the other day about something he did not want me to take on right then, when he gave me this verse in Exodus 18: 17-18 "What you are doing is not good...You will only wear yourselves out. The work is too heavy for you. You cannot handle it alone." There is freedom and joy in realizing that He can most certainly do his work without me and there are times he is calling me to shut down, say no, and just simply sit at his feet and listen. Then there are many times that, after my precious time of sitting at his feet and listening, he says go, love, and serve me and others. Thank you God for teaching me when to sit and listen, and when to act and serve.

4 comments:

  1. popping in from Pete Wilson's blog and just wanted to tell you that I will be praying for you and your family with this beautiful display of doing God's work in Swaziland.

    May He bless you as you bless others.

    Peace~
    *~Michelle~*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said, my new Friend! Have you read Joanna's other book? I'm slowly working thru it...it's really good! I love that you are in the Springs! One of my close friends lives there and we visited her family last September. I would LOVE to move there someday. :-)

    BTW - I just made a donation on your family's behalf online with Luke Commission! SO excited for your mission trip.

    It's a joy to share this journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy Jo,
    Our hearts are so deeply touched. Thank you so much for giving! I have not read Joanna's other book, but will look forward to reading it. We have such a kindred spirit from God and I have no doubt it is a matter of time before we meet in person. Your love for our Savior spurs me on!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing this! It is just what I needed to hear today.

    The time is drawing near... how exciting for y'all!

    ReplyDelete