Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Do you want to get well?


John 5:6 – "Would you like to get well?"

I've got to say, on the surface that sounds like a silly question. The guy has been sick for 38 years! Of course he'd like to get well, healed from his illness. But I am just like the lame man. I am crippled by so many things. Pride. Judgment. Anger. Callousness. Selfishness. There's even wounds I don't understand. Hurts. Regrets. Sadness. Poor self-image. Jesus asks me the same question – "do you want to get well?" Do you really want to get rid of all that junk and be made whole? Again, on the surface it's easy – of course I do. Some of the question is do I really want to have my old, dead self fully removed, or do I kind of like having bits and pieces of it around. I like having bits of control, to have my own way, to do what I want. To be healed and rid of all that junk means getting up, leaving my old life, and walking away from my old self, my desires, my wants. The man's identity was as the cripple at the well. All he was known as was in that identity as a cripple. Everything would change for him. Everything would change for me if I fully abandoned my old life, took up my mat and walked. All of a sudden that silly question is a whole lot harder than it appears. God, show me the things in my life that are keeping me from wanting to be healed. Help me to lay those things down so I can be made whole and be fully healed in You.

1 comment:

  1. Amen, Wendy. Wow. I can so relate. Thanks for sharing your heart! (And for your sweet comments on my blog!) Hope your week is starting off well! Sweet blessings, Amy in OR

    ReplyDelete